Below are some common questions we know you may have when it comes to buying or selling your books online with DORKS. We've listed some easy answers for your convenience. If you still have a question about how anything works, or how you work our new website, please don't hesitate to Contact Us.
Selling your books to dorks
- General Questions & Overview
So how does this whole process of “SELLING my books to DORKS” online work, anyway?
- All you have to do is enter your ISBNs, off the back of your books, into the little box inside the sticky note to the right. Then click the “Show Me the Money” button to start searching for prices. You can enter multiple ISBNs at the same time if you’d like, just hit the enter key to separate them. You’ll then see the prices that DORKS Books can offer you for your books!
- If while you’re searching for prices, and you decide you don’t want to sell one of the books, all you have to do is click the "Remove this Book" link and that book will be taken out of your cart. If you decide you’d rather just bring them into one of our store locations, or you’d rather keep them for now, just simply click the "Delete All These Books for Now" link and all books will be removed from your cart.
- After you search all your books and you're absolutely ecstatic with how much money you’re going to get from DORKS, just click the "I’m Ready to Checkout" link and you're almost there.
- From this next screen that appears, you’ll first have the option to enter a “Coupon Code” if you have one. We randomly run special promotions and prize giveaways where coupon codes can be applied to receive these special DORKS incentives!
- Below this is a dropdown menu, where you select how you want to get your books to DORKS. You can always ship them UPS at NO cost to you, because DORKS will pay for your shipping, or you can choose to drop them off locally at any of our current convenient and incredibly awesome locations.
- If you choose the “Local Drop-Off” option, then you will see that the system automatically gives you an extra 10% on top of your total as a bonus to you! We’ve tried our best to make this whole process as easy and as helpful as possible for YOU, the student.
- Finally, you will be prompted to decide how you would like to be paid, via Paypal or Check (the check will be sent to the address of your choice and will come from Here We Go Enterprises, Inc). Either way you prefer to be paid is easy and fast, however Paypal will most likely be the quickest.
- Always take another look at the DORKS condition and buyback criteria (explained below) to double check that your books meet these standards. Don’t worry, we take just about any book, but you may not receive full credit if there’s damage or other criteria not met.
- If you’re unsure or have questions about your books’ conditions, please contact us first, because we won’t be able to give you credit and issue payments if they don’t meet the specified criteria. We also apologize, but in these cases, we cannot ship your books back to you once we receive them.
- Ok, so now all you have to do is enter your address, if you chose to be paid by check, or confirm your Paypal email address and click the “Finalize My Order” button and you’ve completed your order with DORKS Books!
- A confirmation page will now appear with these instructions again. All you have to do from here is click on the packing slip link, print that, and if you're shipping your books, print out your pre-paid shipping label by clicking on that link as well. Make sure you attach the mailing label really good to the outside of the box or padded envelope. Don’t be afraid to tape it up good either, cause the UPS has even been known to lose a book or two in transit…trust me. If the shipping label comes off or the books get lost, we won’t receive the books and unfortunately, you won’t get paid (UPS does however insure the package for $100, so you may can still get reimbursed, but it will be a hassle). DORKS Books, or any of their entities including but not limited to Here We Go Enterprises, Inc., will not be held responsible for any book shipments that do not make it to our warehouse and unfortunately we will only issue payment for books that are received.
- The last step is to simply drop off your package at the nearest UPS Store or drop box location, or leave it with your UPS mail carrier as long as you’ve followed the above steps and securely attached the prepaid label to the package, and it is obviously visible.
- Now…just sit back and wait for the MONEY to come pouring in!! :)
Some other companies I’ve previously sold my books to online, have charged me some processing fees and/or made me pay to ship my books to them…I’m afraid there may be some hidden fees or charges associated with SELLING my books to DORKS Books online. Is that true?
At DORKS Books we honestly and sincerely do everything we can to help you with all your textbook needs and we want to SAVE you as much money as we can when you BUY books and SAVE you as much money as we can, when you SELL books. So, at www.dorksbooks.com there will never be any shipping charges or hidden fees associated when you SELL your books to us! It’s absolutely FREE! No fees, no shipping charges, and no limits on the amount of books you can send us. If you do however, have a bulk shipment or multiple quantities please contact us and we’ll give you a certified quote and arrange for a special shipping pickup as well.
Ok…so does DORKS Books actually buy ALL kinds of books?
Although we specialize in USED textbooks, DORKS Books does actually buy just about any and all kinds of books in "good" or better condition. There are some kinds of books and/or literature that we don’t except, but for the most part whatever you have we’ll try our best to give you some CA$H. Below is a list of books we usually WILL NOT accept and/or we need to be contacted before you send them:
- Custom Editions - We usually don’t accept “Custom Editions” unless they are being used at one of our physical locations. If you have or think you have a “Custom Edition” of a textbook, please contact your local DORKS bookstore for a more adequate buyback price.
- Exam Copies - These books usually have "Examination Copy" stamped on the cover.
- Teacher's / Instructor's editions – These are kind of like the “Custom Editions”. We usually don’t accept these unless they are being used at one of our physical locations, but if you feel you have an instructor’s edition, please contact us and we will try our best to help you out in some way.
- Workbooks - Unused workbooks are really hard to come by and most people write in their workbooks, so if yours has more than 10% of the pages filled in or is written in we won’t be able to accept it. You can send it in, but just be aware that if we deem it “unacceptable” you WILL NOT receive credit for the book and we won’t be able to ship it back to you.
- Access Codes - We do accept “Access Codes”, but ONLY if they are UNUSED! We WILL NOT give credit for any access code that was for single use only.
- Pornography - I think this is pretty self-explanatory.
- Damaged Books - We cannot, under any circumstance take books back that have missing, torn out, badly stained, or damaged pages. If the book has water damage or mold, we also deem these to be “Damaged Books”. We consider books to be “damaged”, if they are messed up in such a way that we will not be able to resell it in the stated “good” or better criteria stated below.
- If the book you are wanting to sell has any of these characteristics, but you feel still has value, please don’t hesitate to visit your local DORKS store or contact us.
We will try to give you some money for just about any other books that you may have. If we can’t give you anything for them, we also have a DONATION program where we partner with several companies to Recycle and Reuse the books as well as help fund missionaries and other ministries around the world. You can find out more about this on our Ministry Details page.
I’ve noticed over and over that your website mentions that you only buy books in "Good" or better condition. What exactly does “GOOD” condition mean?
Try to put yourself in the "buyer's" shoes. What would you expect a book that was in "GOOD" condition to look like? A "GOOD" book should be readable and in fairly clean condition. Some books come as a set or have other supplementary materials or CD’s that are supposed to come with them. If your book(s) is one of those books that is supposed to have the CD or other materials with it, then we expect the book(s) to have those materials when it is checked in at our warehouse. If we receive your books and the appropriate materials are not included, we will normally still accept the book, but we will have to reduce the offer on that book up to 50% of the quoted price.
I wondered upon your site, and I live in Canada. Can I still SELL you my books to DORKS?
No, sorry guys. At this time DORKS doesn't currently accept International shipments. You can still SELL your books to us, but you’d probably have to like fly down to Georgia or something to make the exchange.
- Creating a Quote on DorksBooks.com
What is this thing you guys keep calling an ISBN?
We actually have an entire page dedicated to explaining exactly what this little number really is, but for now it’s just a specific number that identifies your exact book, package, or materials. If your book is old or rare, it may not have one of these ISBNs. If you feel you have one of these books or you can’t find an ISBN anywhere on your stuff, don’t hesitate to contact us and we will try our best to help you.
I have like ten copies of the same book. Can I just run all those through the system and then mail them into you guys?
No, the system will actually only allow up to 3 books of the same title to be ran through per order, but you can still contact us and we will create a custom quote for you, that will be good for 14 days (see below). We do this for several reasons, but primarily to ensure we can handle huge quantities and we want larger quantities to be ran through our Bulk Orders department. We will always try to work with you and hardly ever do we turn books away! Thank you for your time and understanding.
- Packing and Shipping Your Books to Dorks
I've got my quote from DORKSBooks.com, and my order has been confirmed, but exactly how long do I have to get these books in the mail and get them shipped out?
If DORKS receives your books more than 14 days after the date of your quote, we'll re-estimate the quote and we will issue payment according to the NEW quote. Unfortunately the value of textbooks is so volatile, that operations have to be ran in this manner. Also, remember that UPS may take up to 10 days, so be sure to mail off your books quickly.
I noticed the “Local Drop-Off” option when I was checking out. Does that mean I can drop my books off at ANY of your DORKS locations and get credit, instead of going through the trouble of shipping them?
Wherever you are located you can choose the “Local Drop-Off” option at checkout and drop them off at the most convenient DORKS location. However, you must have your packing slip to get the full credit quoted and the drop-off bonus. By dropping your books off at either of these convenient locations, DORKSBooks.com wants to REWARD you. When you drop your books off, we'll add an EXTRA 10% CASH BONUS to your total! Thank you!
When I ship my books, do I actually pay to ship them to DORKS?
Absolutely NOT, at DORKS you'll NEVER have to pay for shipping. We provide a postage paid UPS shipping label on any order over $15. If your order is less than $15, we require you select the "Drop-Off" option and you'll still get your bonus. And remember, because we use UPS for you to ship your books, they are insured up to $100 and every single order comes with a Tracking Number.
So how do I actually track my books and how long should it take for DORKS to receive them?
As stated above, every single shipment comes with a tracking number and $100 UPS insurance to give you the satisfaction that your books are safe. UPS estimated shipping times are calculated to be around 5-7 days, according to where you are in relation to our DORKS Books warehouse, which is located in Gainesville, GA.
If your books do for some reason get lost in transit, DORKS Books, DORKS College Textbooks, Here We Go Enterprises, Inc. or any other branch or subsidiary of these entities cannot be held responsible for any packages that are not received at our location and we will only pay for books that are received. However, as previously mentioned, will do our best to help you track down your package and help you contact UPS to get the insurance reimbursement.
Do I need to put anything in the package other than the books?
Yes, you MUST HAVE your packing slip included in with your books. If you do not have a packing slip included we may not be able to issue credit. We have so many books come through the warehouse and it’s almost impossible to match up the books with the correct account. Therefore, we would not be able to give you the appropriate credit.
How should I pack my books to make sure they get to you in the stated “GOOD” condition?
Well, first off UPS is probably not going to "Handle Your Package With Care". It's probably going to be thrown around more than a baseball at the Braves game. If you can imagine the many huge shipping and sorting facilities your package is going to go through, the less your book moves around in its box during shipping, the better. If you only have one or two books to sell, the bubble envelopes or padded envelopes work really well. Just make sure to tape them up well.
Here’s a few suggestions for packing and shipping your books to DORKS:
- If you have one book to ship, please do not put it in a 3’ x 5’ box or it probably will not make it here.
- If you're shipping a 1 or 2 pound book, please do not put 5 pounds of packing material to get it here. (If you do use this much packing material, you’ve probably got too big of a box and please refer back to shipping suggestion number one)
- Please do not put rocks in your box of books.
- Seriously though…just use common sense when packing your books and please secure the package to the best of your ability.
- Use as much tape as possible. You really can’t use too much.
- If you have a large number of books or have an oversized package, please contact us and we will see what we can do to ensure you get your books shipped the best way.
- If you have a lot of books, and you’re unsure of the weight and/or size please contact us first before you go to ship everything off. You may need to go through our Bulk Orders Department first.
My books are in the mail, and I’m just waiting to get paid. Is there a way I can check the status of my order?
Once you've mailed your books, just Log In and click the My Account tab at the top of the page. You'll see a list of your orders with one of the following status messages:
- Quoted: This means that you have input your books and it has successfully created an order number for you, but the has not been received yet
- Received: The order has been received at our warehouse and is being processed as we speak.
- Paid: Your books were received in good condition and the order has been paid in full.
- Adjustment: This is the status when an adjustment was made to your initial quote. This was most likely because of one of the stated criteria or restrictions above.
- Cancelled: This is a sad, sad status…This means that the order has been cancelled or was lost in the mail.
- How We Pay You
Once DORKS has received my books, how long is it before I get paid?
When SELLING your books online to DORKS, we can issue payment via Paypal or by Check. If you chose to get paid via Check, you will receive a check from Here We Go Enterprises, Inc. DBA DORKS College Textbooks in the mail. You'll have the chance to choose which way you prefer to be paid at checkout. If you decide to have a check mailed to you, it could take as long as 2 weeks or less to receive your check. The Paypal option is a lot faster and you don't risk the chance of the postal service losing your check. If you don't have a Paypal Account, it's quick, easy and really, really secure. Click Here to sign up.
Once your books have arrived in the mail at our location, your payment is issued within 3-5 business days. It's sad, but things actually do get lost in the mail every once in a while...I know, I know...the next business we plan to open is a dependable shipping company, but until then we'll have to do business with UPS. However remember the FREE UPS shipping will guarantee insurance up to $100, and they provide a tracking number so you can follow your package all the way to our door.
What happens if DORKS Books determines that my book is not in good or better condition?
Take a look at our criteria and standards for determining the condition of your books and the types of books we buy very carefully before you ship them. If the supplementary materials, such as CDs are missing, we'll take up to 50% of the quoted price off the original offer, but still issue payment. You'll still get paid for your books, but just not the total amount.
DORKS books also donates a ton of books to a recycling program as well, so if your book is not deemed in good condition, we'll recycle and reuse it for you. We donate to a program called "One Planet Books". DORKS Books also gives a percentage of the proceeds raised from recycling and/or reusing these books to Helping Hands Foreign Missions ministry. Check out their website to find out more about the Helping Hands ministry.
You can also drop off any books that you would like to donate at any of our locations or convenient book donation/recycling bins now located in Oakwood, GA. Unfortunately we aren't able to notify everyone if we have rejected their book, so when in doubt, don't hesitate to give us a call before mailing in your order.
Buying your books from dorks
- Questions About Buying Your Books From Dorks
What SHIPPING METHODS do you use when shipping the books I purchase from DORKSBooks.com?
We do everything we can to ship your books out on the same business day, if not the next business day, that you place the order if at all possible. The earlier in the day the order is placed the more likely our DORKS EXTREME Customer Service Team can get your order pulled, packaged, and on it’s way! Just always remember, national holidays and unforeseen natural circumstances can put, not only the DORKS Team behind, but especially the United States Postal Service (USPS).
Once our staff has shipped the book, it is then all up to the United States Postal Service (USPS) to get it to you as quickly as possible.
We offer two types of shipping through the USPS:
- Standard: This is the preferred method of shipment and is always FREE when you buy your books from DORKS! This delivery method ships USPS via Media Mail. Our customer feedback has reported that they usually receive their books within 2 weeks, but sometimes it may take 3 weeks. Many customers have received their books in as little as 3 days after DORKS gets the package in the mail, but again, it is all up to the United States Postal Service at this point…
- Expedited: This delivery method ships via USPS Priority Mail. When shipped Priority Mail (or Expedited), customers usually receive their books within 2-3 business days after shipment, but again is not a guarantee. If you would like DORKS to ship your book Expedited there is just a small additional fee, but is still basically cheaper than any other site on the web for Priority Shipping!
First Book: Additional Books: Expedited: $3.99 $1.99 / each
Where are my books…? Do you have tracking information?
All orders placed on DORKSBooks.com will have a tracking number for your convenience. Whether you choose Media Mail (Standard) or Priority Mail (Expedited), both will allow you to track your orders online. For tracking information, simply LogIn and click the My Account tab. You can find your tracking number in the shipment confirmation email we send as well. If you’re still confused about any of this or the logistics of your purchase, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com and we will respond ASAP!
Do you have a RETURN POLICY?
YES, we definitely do. We understand that mistakes can happen and we all know how these professors are with changing their minds about a book they previously requested as a “Required” text. However, there are some guidelines when requesting a RETURN:
- Believe it or not, although EXTREMELY RARE, our staff is comprised of a group of normal human beings a.k.a. DORKS, who can and may possibly make a mistake once in a century. So, if a mistake is made with your order, we sincerely apologize and we will grant you a full refund upon the book’s safe return. If it is our fault, we will also reimburse you for your shipping charges.
- If there was a mistake made by the customer while placing the order, a professor changes the required book, or you just simply don’t want it anymore, we will still gladly accept the return within 30 days of the purchase date for the amount of the book less a 15% restocking fee, and unfortunately we will not be able to reimburse you for your shipping charges.
- If you need to CANCEL your order, please contact us as soon as possible at firstname.lastname@example.org.
My Account FAQ
- General Website Account Questions
Why would I even want an account on DORKSBooks.com? And if it’s that important, how do I register?
Well, since DORKSbooks.com is the best place (and “the Students’ Choice” might we add…) to BUY & SELL your books online, it’s pretty much a no brainer! All you have to do is simply click on the Sign Up link in the top right corner of any page on our site and just provide us with your email address and a password, and you're in!
You can use the same account for both BUYING & SELLING your books to DORKSbooks.com. Just make sure you provide us with a real, valid email address that you check on a regular basis. If you don’t, your account is pretty much pointless, because we won’t be able to contact you if there is a problem with your order.
How do I make changes or add information to my account?
Simply click “Log In” at the top of any page and you can edit the payment method for books you are selling to DORKS as well as your shipping address and password.
What happens if I’ve lost my password, or I honestly have so many passwords floating around that I have absolutely no clue which one I used for my DORKSbooks.com account?
No problem guys, we’re all a bunch of DORKS and have the same problem. It’s easy to retrieve your password. Just click on the “Log In” page and enter your email address in the blank, then simply hit the “Forgot Password” button to have it resent to your email address on file. It’s not rocket science, but if you really want to know more about rocket science…click here to BUY BOOKS now!!
Terms and Conditions
- Terms and Conditions
At DORKS Books we always strive to give you the most money for your books and we try to be as flexible as possible, however there are some guidelines and rules we have to follow.
Damaged Books - We cannot, under any circumstance take books back that have missing, torn out, badly stained, or damaged pages. If the book has water damage or mold, we also deem these to be "Damaged Books". We consider books to be "damaged", if they are messed up in such a way that we will not be able to resell it in the stated "good" or better criteria stated below. If the book you are wanting to sell has any of these characteristics, but you feel still has value, please don't hesitate to visit your local DORKS store or contact us.
International and Teacher/Instructor's Editions - Some books have Teacher's editions, Annotated Instructor's Editions, and/or International Editions that look almost identical to the standard "Student Edition" textbooks. Even if one of these books comes up with a value on the site, we will not be able to offer the full quoted price for that book. In almost ALL cases, these books will have NO value. However, if you have one of these books, please contact us first to check pricing before completing your buyback order to see if we can still offer something for these books. But remember, if you're unsure, it's best to assume that the book has NO BUYBACK VALUE and DORKS will not be responsible for any alternate edition textbooks bought or sent to DORKS Books.
Good Condition - Try to put yourself in the "buyer's" shoes. What would you expect a book that was in "GOOD" condition to look like? A "GOOD" book should be readable and in fairly clean condition. Some books come as a set or have other supplementary materials or CD's that are supposed to come with them. If your book(s) is one of those books that is supposed to have the CD or other materials with it, then we expect the book(s) to have those materials when it is checked in at our warehouse. If we receive your books and the appropriate materials are not included, we will normally still accept the book, but we will have to reduce the offer on that book by up to 50% of the offered price.
Calculators - All calculators should be in working condition, with no cracks to the screen or frame. Minor scuffs, scratches, and/or normal wear and tear is usually acceptable. However, if we receive a calculator whose condition is too bad to issue credit, we do reserve the right to decline payment and the calculator will not be returned, but it will be recycled (unless the customer wants to pay for return shipping).
Time Frame - If DORKS receives your books more than 14 days after the date of your quote, we'll re-estimate the quote and we will issue payment according to the NEW quote. Unfortunately the value of textbooks is so volatile, that operations have to be ran in this manner. Also, remember that UPS may take up to 10 days, so be sure to mail off your books quickly.
Take a look at our textbook criteria and standards (under the FAQ page) very carefully for more detail in determining the condition of your books and the types of books we buy before you ship them. If the supplementary materials, such as CDs are missing, we'll take up to 50% off the original offer, but still issue payment. You'll still get paid for your books, but just not the total amount.
Multiple Copies - Our system allows for up to 3 books of the same title. To sell multiple copies in excess of 3, please contact us and we will create a custom quote for you.
Also, as we've mentioned throughout the site, it is ALWAYS our goal to get you the most money for your books, but sometimes there are random books, obsolete titles, and rare books/titles that are virtually impossible for us to buy. It's impossible for DORKS Books to identify every single one of these books on the front end. This is extremely rare, but if a quote is offered that you are uncertain of, please contact us first before shipping your books. If this happens and you ship your books before checking with us, DORKS Books reserves the right to adjust your quote, but before we recycle the books (with no value) we will contact you to see if you would like them shipped back to you if the appropriate steps were taken. DORKS Books also reserves the right to not issue payment, if books are sent in that are not in the conditions outlined in the FAQ page and the terms above.